Any person wishing to use the machine shop equipment after normal shop working hours must adhere to the following rules and regulations or face revocation of their after-hours shop privileges. After-hours are defined as before 8:00 AM and after 4:00 PM Monday through Friday, and All Day Saturday and Sunday. (Note: the machine shop is closed between the hours of 12:00 noon and 1:00 PM). In addition to these periods, the After-Hours Shop Usage Policy will apply in all circumstances during normal shop working hours when the Machine Shop Manager is not present (due to vacation days, sick days, etc).
- Only Authorized Shop Users may work the equipment during after-hours periods. (Authorized Shop-Users are those persons who have taken and passed a Physics Department shop class or refresher class, and/or have proven their competency in the use of Machine tools to the satisfaction of the Machine Shop Manager).
- To gain after-hours access, Authorized Shop Users must read and sign a copy of this form.
- Machine shop users must not lend their card or key to others for shop access. Violation will result in the loss of after-hour shop privileges for all parties involved.
- The Buddy System is to be used at ALL times for work done within the machine shop. The Buddy System is as follows: In the absence of professional staff, anyone using the machine shop, especially after-hours, must have another person physically present in the shop. While your buddy may assist you with non-machining tasks, this person MAY NOT use any machine tools, unless they are an Authorized Shop-User.
- At the beginning of the after-hours shop use period, all persons must sign their name, and identify the time the shop was entered, on the clip-board/register, just inside the machine shop door.
- All persons must fill in the date and time they left the shop on the clip-board/register.
- All SHOP SAFETY must be adhered to! This is essential, especially after hours. If you see ANY safety rule being violated, it is your responsibility to report it to the Physics Shop manager as soon as possible.
- You may call the machine shop manager any hour of the day or night seven days a week at 303-330-7695.
- If you are unsure of how to approach or proceed with a job, and it simply cannot wait, do not hesitate to call. There is no need to guess. Guessing with machine operations is one of the most common causes of shop accidents.
- Should an accident occur, immediately summon help for any injured person/persons by dialing 911 from any phone (There is a red emergency-phone directly outside of the machine shop doors). Administer appropriate first aid until help arrives, then call the Machine Shop Manager at that time.
- Notify the Machine Shop Manager A.S.A.P. if any equipment is in need of repair.
- Leave a signed note describing anything that you break or damage so that it can be repaired or replaced in a timely manner.
- Always sign for any materials that you use.
MATERIAL USAGE POLICY
Any materials used must be signed for BEFORE you use it (a MATERIAL USEAGE CLIP-BOARD is attached to the large band-saw). Include material type, size and quantity, and your name, contact information, and account number when applicable.
When finished working in the shop, you must clean up your machine and surrounding area, clean and return all tools to their proper place, and sign out of the machine shop.
Be sure that ALL SHOP DOORS are LOCKED when you leave!
I, the undersigned, have read and understand the above information.